Friday, July 29, 2011

Using Overdrive on Android to check out eBooks

One trend I had been watching lately is our local library support for e-readers. They have been using some Adobe software and a provider called "Overdrive" to allow you to check out eBooks, just like you do with physical books...

When I initially looked at Overdrive a few months ago, I could only run it on my windows computer, and the selection of books seemed very limited. But things have changed for the better.

Now Overdrive has an App for both the I Phone and Android. I installed the OverDrive App on my G-Tab last night, configured the account info {both an Adobe account, and my library account} and checked out my first eBook, Cutting for Stone.

Overdrive works well...but is no match for my kindle.

Kindle is so much better for eBooks than tablets...Tablets are so much better for news and web sites than Kindle.... so I'm glad to have both!

I'd like to see the libraries support Kindle directly.

My checkout of Cutting for Stone expires in 7 days! So I've got to get busy reading!

1 comment:

  1. So what happens when your ebook checkout expires? First overdrive tells you that your checkout period has expired and that the book must be deleted. Then it says: OK or Cancel? Which is confusing given that it told me that it must be deleted! So I said OK. I wonder what happens if I would have said CANCEL? I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete