Sunday, July 24, 2011

Voice Over IP on the G-Tab

I just set up the G-tab to make calls using voip...

I learned how to do this from Ray Waldo's web site. Thanks, Ray!


Why would I want to do this you ask? Well, calls on my home phone or cell phone cost $.10/minute... I know I could use my computer to make voip calls, but the G-Tab will be more useful for normal use....e.g. I am using the G-tab more and the main computer less these days...

So how to do this:

1. Get an Google voice account. Google voice is required to be able to use the GrooVe IP App that actually makes the calls. These are many reasons to get a Google Voice account, here are a few:
- make voip calls
- call forwarding
- voice mail transcription service
- email notification of calls
- port your cell phone number over and terminate your expensive monthly cell phone service. {more on this later...}

If you have a gmail account already, it can be used as the google voice account. This is the default.

Head on over to Google voice and get it set up...I'm not going to go into how to do the setup, but
DO THE SETUP ON YOUR COMPUTER, not the G-Tab. I could not get the google Voice setup to work for me running the Google voice app on the G-Tab...but my phone setup is a little strange, so that could have been the problem.

2. Install the Google Voice app if not already on the G-Tab. It just has to be installed on the G-tab, NOT configured on the G-Tab.

3. Go to the Android Market and purchase GrooVe IP app. {$3.99}

4. After GrooVe IP is installed, run it and configure GrooVe IP with your Google Voice account login and password.

That's it, you can now make VOIP calls from the G-Tab using the GrooVe IP app , {you don't need to run the Google Voice app...}

Note that your contact phone numbers from your Google account are available in the GrooVe IP app, great!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, it works, but.....I'm having trouble with my BlueTooth headset, can't see to get that working, and people I've called say that there is an echo on their end of the call that is very distracting.

    So I'm working on the above problems...adjusting the microphone gain in settings seem to help with the echo problem.... more later.

    ReplyDelete